Jersey City Museum & Liberty National Golf Club present
The Golden Door Mini Golf Course
at Hamilton Square
“I lift my lamp beside the golden door.” –Emma Lazarus, inscribed on the Statue of Liberty
Jersey City is known as America’s Golden Door because of its proximity to Ellis Island, America’s busiest immigration station from 1892 – 1954. Whether the newcomers settled in the area or passed through the golden door to other locations, Jersey City is the place where their American Dream began. It was the entrance to the land of opportunity, where anyone could seek prosperity, and hard work was rewarded with success.
In celebration of Jersey City’s rich history, Jersey City Museum invited artists to create golf holes for an outdoor miniature golf course that represents their interpretations of “The Golden Door.” Ten artists and collaborative artist teams addressed issues related to the golden door concept, such as immigration, economic mobility, transition, obstacles and roadblocks (and the solutions used to circumvent them), and different ways to exemplify “hard work.” Each hole combines recreational functionality with a unique participatory art project that focuses on ingenuity, resourcefulness, and play.
In addition to the artist designed golf holes, the course also includes a starter shack, a water fountain, and an entryway that are also inspired by the golden door concept. This fully functional mini-golf course will be open to the public at Hamilton Park, at the corner of Erie Street and Pavonia Ave, courtesy of SILVERMAN, the developers of Hamilton Square in downtown Jersey City. All are welcome to play on a first-come, first-serve basis.
The exhibition is curated by Christina Vassallo, with exhibition design by Risa Puno.
- The New York Times: Come for Art, Stay for the Golf
- Wall Street Journal: A Mini Golf Tribute
- Wall Street Journal: Those Who Like to Putter Around
- The Star Ledger: Miniature Golf Course is Actually Interactive Art
- Hyperallergic: The Golden Door is Now Open
- Jersey Journal: Curator’s New Mini-Golf Course / Public Art in Jersey City
- Jersey Journal: Artists Build Mini-Golf Course
- Jersey City Independent: Artist-Designed Mini-Golf Course
- Jersey City Independent: The Golden Door Grand Opening Party
- NJN News: Art Course
- Hoboken411: Golden Door Miniature Golf in Jersey City!
Hamilton Square is closest to the Grove St. and Pavonia/Newport PATH stations, or use the Newport Light Rail stop.
Installation in Progress
- Opening reception: June 27, 2 – 5 pm
- Dates: June 24 – Sept 6, 2010
- Hours: 10 am to dusk, daily.
- Location: Hamilton Square, 232 Pavonia Avenue, Jersey City, NJ
- Fee: $5.00 per player; $4.00 for Jersey City Museum members.
Who made it possible?
The Golden Door Mini Golf Course at Hamilton Square is sponsored by Liberty National and SILVERMAN. Support is generously provided by Investors Savings Bank; Hughes, Hubbard & Reed, LLP; Nathan & Nancy Sambul; United Way; Congressman Frank Guarini; Deloitte; Roosevelt & Cross; Goldman Sachs; Capital One; Ofelia Garcia; NYFA. In-kind support donated by Hoboken Golf; 14th Street Garden Center; Tsigonia Lumber and Paint; Home Depot Holland Tunnel; Hauptman Floor; Freeman; and Minuteman Press.
Special thanks to SILVERMAN staff, Mike & Sprio Voutsinas, Michelle Vitale Loughlin, Eileen Gaughan, and Brendan Carroll.