I am working on a new exhibition for Flux Factory and we are accepting proposals through an open call process. Send in your proposals no later than JANUARY 19 to my Flux Factory email address (posted below).
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
Flux Factory, an open art collective that provides contexts for artists to create new work and actively promotes a community of diverse cultural producers, is currently accepting proposals for an exhibition that focuses on objects of war and occupation.
Armed conflict leads to unique forms of expression that pervade contemporary culture in myriad ways both visible and invisible, tangible and abstract. For this exhibition we are inviting artists to respond to one of five cultural by-products or expressions of war that have been chosen for their symbolic value and relevance to daily life. They include: (1) Transcript of the Milosevic war crimes trial at The Hague, (2) the balaclava face mask, adopted as a symbol of the Zapatista Army of National Liberation, (3) US Army recruitment video game, (4) Save Darfur Coalition full-page ad in New York Times, and (5) North Korean Hell March video and the ensuing discussion posted on YouTube.
We invite you to respond to one of these objects or images in any way you wish. There is no limitation to medium, and a small honorarium will be available for selected proposals.
We will also feature a panel discussion and produce an accompanying catalogue of the exhibition. This show, organized by Douglas Paulson, Chen Tamir, Ginger Shulick, and Christina Vassallo, is an extension of a previous exhibition by Tamir, “One After Another,” in which 8 artists were asked to respond to a photojournalist’s image of Palestinian prisoners being led blindfolded and handcuffed to an Israeli military base near the Gaza Strip. You can read more about “One After Another,” which was presented in 2009 at the National Gallery of Saskatchewan, here.
Interested parties should submit:
- One paragraph explaining your project. 300 words maximum. Please title your document in this format: LAST NAME_FIRST NAME_LETTER.DOC or .RTF
- List specific installation requirements (how large a space would you need, electrical or hardware requirements, etc) along with a projected production and installation budget
- Documentation of previous work: Maximum 2 page PDF document or 5 JPEG images (72 dpi only)
- Images should be titled: LAST NAME_FIRST NAME_IMAGE#
- Or 5 minutes of video. Please do not send movie files. Instead, include a link to your work online in the proposal paragraph.
- Resumé or bio, maximum 2 pages. Titled LAST NAME_FIRST NAME_BIO.DOC or .RTF
The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, January 19. Please use “War Show Proposal” as the subject of your email, and remember to add your name to all materials. Do not send original material.
Send submissions to christina[at]fluxfactory[dot]org. If you have any questions, please email with “War Show Question” in the subject line.
We’re looking forward to your proposals!
Posted in | ,